West Midlands Metro has delivered an early treat for shoppers hunting bargains in the Boxing Day sales by announcing extra services and a great deal on festive fares.
Traditionally trams have followed a Sunday timetable on Boxing Day, but this year they’ll be running every ten minutes from 8.00am to 6.00pm. The same timetable will operate on New Year’s Day and tram customers can cash in on an extension to the popular £5 Group Ticket.
Usually available after 6pm on weekdays and at weekends, between December 24 and January 4, the offer will be available all day, every day – just the ticket for up to five adults, or two adults and up to four children, travelling together.
Carl Williams, West Midlands Metro Director of Operations, explained: “Offering a day of unlimited tram travel for just a fiver, it’s ideal for families and groups of friends heading for the shops or an evening out.
“What’s more, the money they save can be put towards bagging a bargain in the sales or on a special festive treat for a loved one!”
“The additional trams will also help West Midlands Metro customers to beat the traffic and with 550 spaces at our free park and ride facilities they don’t have to worry about finding somewhere to leave their car.”
Full details of Christmas and New Year tram services are listed here:
- Monday, Dec 24 (Christmas Eve) – Normal Mon–Fri service, from every 8 minutes
- Tuesday, Dec 25 (Christmas Day) – No services
- Wednesday, Dec 26 (Boxing Day) – Sunday service until 8.00am then every 10 minutes until 6.00pm and then every 15 minutes until 11pm
- Thursday, Dec 27 – Trams from every 8 minutes during the daytime with a 15 minute service between 5.15am – 7am and 7pm – 11.30pm.
- Friday, Dec 28 – Trams from every 8 minutes during the daytime with a 15 minute service between 5.15am – 7am and 7pm – 11.30pm.
- Saturday, Dec 29 – Saturday service from every 8 minutes
- Sunday, Dec 30 – Normal Sunday service
- Monday, Dec 31 (New Year’s Eve) – Saturday service from every 8 minutes with last trams at 12.45am
- Tuesday, Jan 1 (New Year’s Day) – Sunday service with extra trams between 8am and 6pm from every 10 minutes then a 15-minute service until 11pm
- Wednesday, Jan 2 – Normal services resume